Director of Finance and Administration
Director of Finance and Administration
Remote Work, Full-Time Position
Provide is seeking an experienced finance and operations professional to lead and execute our financial, human resources, IT, and related administrative functions. This role will also work with organizational leadership to ensure legal compliance in all applicable areas, to keep our board well-informed and prepared to execute their fiduciary responsibilities, and to create and implement right-sized operational systems to ensure Provide is ready for its next stage of growth. The person in this role needs robust experience working with financial and operational systems in the non-profit sector. Ideally, they also have experience working with non-profit leaders and boards on financial reporting and strategy, and the management of financial assets.
We are looking for a self-directed thought-partner who can execute the needed functions with minimal oversight and is savvy about when to call-in support for execution and lift up strategic choice points to organizational leaders. Our ideal candidate has excellent oral and written communication skills including the capacity to document clear, accessible policies and procedures and to present cogent and compelling data and reports to the board in support of financial and operational recommendations. They also approach internal systems and process implementation with an equity approach, demonstrating a commitment to effective, transparent communication and to addressing the impact of policy and processes on employees of varying levels, races, and genders.
Founded in 1992, Provide is a national remote-work organization working to ensure that there is access to abortion, especially for those living in rural communities, Southern and Midwestern states. Provide educates and supports health and social service providers to be able to give the care and support those facing reproductive health needs to include abortion care. Our work is rooted in the on-the-ground realities of people's lives and of the systems and resources that are available to them. We believe that everyone has a role in supporting access to abortion care and that by giving people the tools and resources to play their role we can transform the way abortion is experienced where improved access is needed most.
Provide is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBQIA+, Trans and Nonbinary people, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time (40 hr/week) remote-work position based anywhere in the US. The Director of Finance and Administration reports to the Executive Director and implements the financial, operational, and administrative systems needed to support Provide’s strategic goals and objectives. The DFA executes and oversees daily activities related to finances, human resources, technology, and administration. This execution includes oversight of the work of any vendor who supports our operational work ensuring a smooth integration between external output and internal process. The DFA works closely with the Executive Director on financial and operational reporting to the board. They collaborate with organizational and departmental leadership on the implementation of human resources, technology, and administrative functions. The DFA holds primary responsibility for creating goals and objectives for the areas of work they oversee in collaboration with Executive and Managing Director as a part of Provide’s organizational and planning reporting process.
This position works as part of the organization’s remote staff, with travel anticipated at 10%, but any travel will take into consideration appropriate COVID-19 safety precautions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Leads financial management – 40%
Lead and execute all transactional, operational, and strategic finance functions in the organization, including the final activities:
BUDGETS AND REPORTING:
· Ensures timely, clear and accurate preparation of budgets and financial reports
o Assist the ED to effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the Board of Directors.
o In conjunction with the ED, administer and oversee the annual budgeting and quarterly budget review; prepare annual and adjusted budgets; monitor progress and keep senior leadership informed of the organization’s financial status
§ Analyze, prepare and present financial and budget reports including monthly financial statements and quarterly budget reports for executive and departmental leaders
§ Lead and oversee the preparation of budgets and financial reports related to fund development requests and reporting
ACCOUNTING AND PAYROLL
· Effectively develops and leads a team to perform critical accounting tasks
o Administer payroll and all employee benefits.
o Ensure approval and correct allocation of organizational expenses.
o Manage accounts payable, cash disbursements, accounts receivable and cash receipts.
o Manage and maintain accounting files.
o Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting
· Leads the review, creation and management of financial systems, seeking to promote efficiency and responsiveness to evolving organizational needs
o Oversee the management of organizational investments in accordance with the Board approved organizational investment policy and strategy; keep senior leadership and the Board informed of investment status and performance.
o Prepares for and oversees annual examination of the financial records, accounts, daily business transactions, accounting practices, and internal controls of a charitable nonprofit by an independent auditor. Supports the Board of Directors to periodically assess and procure audit services consistent with industry best practices
§ Improves and maintains Financial Controls and Administrative policy and procedures manuals.
o Assist the Executive Director with the creation, analysis and reporting on indicators on the financial health of the organization.
o Implement upgrades to organizational financial practice and infrastructure, as necessary based on organizational needs.
Human Resources Administration – 30%
Leads administration of key human resources functions including robust and proactive communications with all employees around relevant HR functions.
COMPLIANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
- Steers benefits selection/administration, interfacing with vendors.
· Maintains responsibility for agency compliance with federal and state legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Manages consultation with legal counsel and Executive Director, as appropriate, on personnel matters.
- Monitors budget for HR activities.
PEOPLE AND CULTURE
- Leads and supports organizational and departmental leadership around the administration of talent management, staff support, and other climate and culture related organizational initiatives:
- Leads internal communications about Provide’s human resources goals, strategies, and results to Provide’s staff and Board.
- Manages work, relationships, and contracts with any vendors or consultants who support Provide’s HR functions.
- Oversees and supports hiring managers in the administration of hiring and recruitment processes, as needed.
- Manages the onboarding of new employees, reentry for existing employees, and separation for exiting employees, guided by and improving on documented processes.
- Implements scheduled training in HR administration practices for all staff with supervisory responsibilities.
- Execution and support for ‘people and culture’ initiatives under the guidance of the Executive Director and with support from the Managing Director (i.e. administering staff surveys, logistics for all-staff professional development, administering professional development and conflict management policies, etc.)
Information Technology – 10%
TECHNOLOGICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND SUPPORT
· Ensures appropriate technological infrastructure and support for a remote work culture
o Manage work, relationships, and contracts with NetFriends, Provide’s current IT support Vendor, including troubleshooting network and infrastructure hiccups with NetFriends team.
o Maintaining documentation and implementation of appropriate organization-wide digital technological security protocol.
o Order and track capital equipment, including administering Provide’s staff laptop program.
o Manage IT boosters/trainings for all staff.
RECORD MANAGEMENT AND DATA STORAGE
· Lead documentation and implementation of appropriate record management, storage and file sharing software policies and practices (i.e. One-Drive, Sharepoint) with support of available administrative staff and department leaders
Other Administrative Functions– 10%
· Maintains key administrative functions
o Create and maintain additional administrative systems, as needed
o Manage relevant vendor accounts, as needed
o Appropriately manage organizational communication (phone, mail, etc.)
o Order and distribute necessary supplies, as needed
o Plan and implement meetings and special events, as needed.
Perform additional team responsibilities - 10%
· Develop objectives for the finance, human resources, admin, and tech work according to the organization's strategic goals and update and report on the progress of those objectives via the quarterly and annual organizational reporting and planning process
· Attends team meetings regularly and with enthusiasm
· Represents Provide at conferences and coalition meetings as requested
· Serves as a public representative of Provide as requested
- Demonstrated experience in successful financial management and accounting
- Experience with audit, legal and regulatory compliance, and budget development
- Proven effectiveness with managing staff and empowering them to make decisions
- Organization development with proven human resources management experience
- Enjoys challenges and has a strong drive to succeed
- Ability to coordinate collaborative processes flexibly and efficiently
- Ability to translate financial concepts to colleagues with and without a background in finance
- Proven interpersonal, written, and verbal skills
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, organize work, meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience in working within a non-profit setting
- Proven success working independently and with a team
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and the Internet
- Commitment to Provide’s core mission, values, and programs.
- Ability to function well in a remote work culture.
- Excellent communication skills (in-person, email, phone, status reports, managing documents, remote meetings)
- Driven to create a solutions-based culture
- Experience with administrative work (scheduling/facilitating meetings, database entry, creating spreadsheets, submitting expense claims, making travel arrangements)
- Comfort with using technology for collaboration
Salary Range and Benefits
The Director of Finance and Administration is a full-time position, with the starting annual salary in the range of $80,000 to $90,000. Provide offers a generous benefits package, which currently includes: Group health and dental coverage, 403b plan with company match, stipend for productive workspace including monthly internet and cell phone allowance, long and short-term disability insurance, group life insurance, and paid time off. Paid time off includes: 12 paid holidays per year (with flexibility/floating holidays) PLUS paid Winter Holiday from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day, 15 vacation days per year, 10 sick days per year, monthly paid Wellness Days, 12 weeks paid parental leave, jury duty and bereavement leave, and paid emergency leave.
Provide staff are remote workers and we do not have a physical location. This is a remote position for an applicant based in the United States and who can work with others on a remote team. Up to 10% travel may be required. **NOTE: Provide is currently operating under a non-mandatory travel policy; therefore, staff members may or may not travel for work based on their own comfort level.**
To apply, please send along your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Provide is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Provide believes that diversity and inclusion among our team is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Together, We Are Transforming Healthcare