Deputy Executive Director
West Kootenay EcoSociety
Canada Remote / Work-at-Home /WFH
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: from home (offices closed due to COVID)
West Kootenay EcoSociety is a non-profit community-driven organization that brings together local residents to protect the natural environment while building just, equitable, healthy, and livable communities. Since 1994, EcoSociety has worked to preserve wild places, air and water for future generations; to take action to reduce the crisis of climate change; and to promote sustainable local food systems. EcoSociety is at a pivotal moment in its development and is seeking a Deputy Executive Director to support the organization’s leadership to reach new audiences, and realign the organization to better fulfill its mission.
EcoSociety practices employment equity and is dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. We welcome applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black People, People of Colour, women, people with disabilities, youth, members of the LGBTQ2SAI+ communities, new immigrants, refugees, or members of other minorities.
EcoSociety is committed to a safe work and volunteer space for everyone. All staff and board members have completed anti-oppression training. All new staff are required to complete anti-oppression training upon starting with EcoSociety if they have not previously completed similar training in the past two years.
EcoSociety is a Living Wage Employer. This is a work from home position as our offices have closed due to COVID, thus a quiet space and reliable internet to work is required. Employment benefits include:
- 4 weeks paid vacation (prorated), with flexibility around dates to accommodate staff needs
- Work from home $50/month allowance (reimbursement)
- Supply technology needs for work from home, as required
- Paid sick days
- Paid Statutory holidays including Boxing Day and Easter Monday, and additional consideration for days of cultural or religious significance
- Flexible work hours/work life balance
- Paid 30 mins daily exercise (prorated)
- Paid time for leadership and organizer trainings
- Paid time for organizational justice, equity, diversity and inclusion trainings
- Hours tracking and time off in lieu enforced
The Deputy Director will work closely with the Executive Director to implement the mission and goals of the EcoSociety, including operations and program management, administration and human resources, fundraising, governance, strategic planning, communication, campaigns and strategy development. This position will report to the Executive Director and will be a member of the senior management team.
Experience and Qualifications
We understand that not all experience looks the same, and encourage applicants to share how their experiences relate to the qualities below:
- Substantial experience with non-profit organization(s) successfully leading in at least two of the following areas: team building and management, fund development, campaigns, communications, and/or operations
- Demonstrated commitment to working in diverse teams with a strong desire for justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
- Strong communication skills, including verbal, visual and written communications, especially with rural and small town audiences
- Planning and project management experience, in particular managing more than one project at the same time
- Comfortable working on a computer full-time with a remote team, and flexibility to work some evenings and weekends, when necessary
It would also be helpful if you have any of the following skills, qualifications or equivalent experiences:
- Demonstrated preference for valuing and experience using engagement organizing
- Keen interest in current events, politics and trends
- Experience organizing digitally
The successful candidate ideally lives in the West Kootenay region, however candidates from other regions in BC and Canada, particularly those with lived experience in rural and small town communities, are encouraged to apply and will be considered. If the successful candidate lives outside the West Kootenay region, they may be required to relocate to the region once EcoSociety re-opens community offices after COVID. However, preference will be given to experience and skills over the current residential location of candidates.
The successful candidate must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Applicants are encouraged to identify in their applications if they are Indigenous Peoples, Black People, People of Colour, women, youth, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ2SAI+ communities, new immigrants, refugees, and/or are members of other visible minorities.
- Send your resume to email@example.com and put “Deputy Executive Director” in the subject line.
- Complete this form: https://forms.gle/7DBR2aAC4DgCWNq78
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis with the intention to hire as soon as possible.
We thank all who apply and only those considered for the position will be contacted for interviews.
Your application has been successfully submitted.