Senior Director, Client Development
Senior Director, Client Development (This role will be reporting up to the SF office, and has West Area team members in SF, Los Angeles, and Seattle.)
A mission-driven professional with experience in the practice of fiscal sponsorship and a passion for relationship development
Arabella Advisors seeks a Senior Director to join our West Region client development team. This person will meaningfully advance Arabella’s multi-year vision and strategy, identify and oversee complex projects in partnership with internal teams of cross-disciplinary experts, and work directly with high-profile clients to drive impact on some of the most pressing issues of our time.
This is an excellent opportunity for a professional who is experienced in fiscal sponsorship and wishes to take a step toward greater impact by helping to launch and steward some of the most innovative and ambitious social change initiatives of our time. We are seeking a candidate who understands what it takes to run an effective nonprofit, and can roll up their sleeves to advise social impact leaders on operational details. Our ideal candidate is comfortable engaging the nation’s leading foundations and is adept at helping philanthropists collaborate with each other through the use of grantmaking intermediaries.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors is an award-winning consulting firm that helps make social-change efforts more effective, efficient, and equitable. We are a B Corporation, a member of the Inc. 5000, and a certified Great Place to Work.
We help our clients understand their philanthropic goals, then find the right path to help them achieve the greatest change possible. Through strategic advice, program support, and nonprofit management services, we help changemakers go further, faster.
Our team of experts has the breadth and depth of experience to navigate even the most complex challenges and is inspired by a shared commitment to expanding equity, strengthening communities, protecting the planet, and defending democracy. We offer creative, customized solutions to our clients as they pursue bold visions of a brighter future. Specifically, Arabella supports clients in two primary ways: we provide “last-mile” implementation support to several nonprofit 501(c)3 and (c)4organizations that are fiscal sponsors to a broad array of initiatives. Arabella also provides strategic consulting to donors and nonprofit organizations.
As Senior Director, you will focus on building our fiscal sponsorship practice by developing and managing relationships with the donors and social impact leaders who launch new initiatives on our platforms. You will be a major contributor to business development, managing client engagements, and representing the organization externally.
West Coast Client Development (60%)
- Independently manage the client development cycle including by sourcing, closing, and servicing new fiscally sponsored projects
- Contribute meaningfully to Arabella’s multi-year vision for growth and the expansion of the West Region portfolio, including by developing and selling new services
- Represent Arabella publicly with prospective clients and partners, making meaningful contributions to the field and establishing Arabella as a thought leader
- Develop and cultivate strong relationships with clients, donors, channel partners, and philanthropic partners in the West region
Client Service (40%)
- Provide strategic leadership to ongoing client engagements, collaborating meaningfully and equitably with internal teams
- Evaluate potential new services and make recommendations for client service implementation
- Ensure delivery of excellent client services for fiscally sponsored projects, including by managing key relationships and serving as a liaison between internal teams
- Contribute to the development and launch of new services and entities to meet client needs
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- At least 10 years of professional experience with steadily increasing job responsibilities
- Experience with fiscal sponsorship, grantmaking intermediaries, philanthropy, nonprofit management, or fundraising
- A demonstrated commitment to social impact
- Experience with client relationship management in fast-paced, sophisticated environments, preferably in a professional service setting
- Management or supervisory experience in a matrixed environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to build positive relationships with a range of philanthropic clients
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and an ability to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs, coach teammates on crafting content, and synthesize complex information for diverse audiences
- Ability to manage and lead complex projects, to oversee and delegate to others on the team, and to meet deadlines
- An appreciation for efficient processes and a desire to improve them
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to successfully manage a variety of client and prospect relationships to add value to the firm and client, and demonstrate an ability to accurately assess their needs
- The ability to sell multiple lines of service, close and negotiate deals, and achieve medium-sized revenue goals
- The ability to regularly participate on sector-relevant panels that add value to the firm’s brand, coauthor content for the sector that promotes Arabella, and be seen internally as an expert in select issue areas or client types
- Based on market trends, the ability to bring to market a few innovations per year
About Arabella’s Client Development Team
Arabella’s client development experts help us reach the organizations and individuals who need our services, cultivate and maintain relationships with hundreds of donors and thousands of nonprofit organizations across our field, track business metrics, and tell the many stories of our work in ways that enhance program impact and help to make philanthropy more effective.
Arabella is a business with a mission: Help changemakers turn inspiring ideas into life-changing impact. In 2020, fulfilling that mission became more important than ever. Here's a look at how Arabella responded.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Total Rewards (compensation and benefits)
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography.
All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance- On average Arabella pays 86% of the medical premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision premium
- Paid time off- 18 days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan- We offer a 4% employer match on a dollar-per-dollar basis, and there is no waiting or vesting period; all funds contributed by you and Arabella are yours to keep on day 1
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and fitness
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Access to professional development opportunities
Working with Us
This position is open to candidates who wish to work from our West Coast office in San Francisco, CA; it is also open to permanently remote workers based in the metropolitan Los Angeles, CA, or Seattle, WA areas. Please note that due to COVID-19, all Arabella Advisors' offices are closed, and we continue to temporarily work in a remote environment.
When we reopen -- currently anticipated in early 2022 -- we will be returning to work with a hybrid workplace strategy to ensure continued flexibility for our staff, while deepening our strong culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. It is our expectation that once we reopen, Arabellans will generally work 2-4 days per week from the office and 2-4 days at home/remotely. We will make reasonable accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Arabella Advisors requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses, and, except in rare circumstances considered on a case-by-case basis, all applicants must already be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of application to be considered for this position.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
From Idea to Impact