Deputy University Spokesperson
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the job
The University of Virginia Office of University Communications seeks a Deputy University Spokesperson to help our team advance the mission of the University through effective strategic communications. The deputy spokesperson represents the institution to students, staff, faculty, alumni, and the general public through effective engagement with news media, as well as through University-owned communication channels. The person in this position has an advanced knowledge of and expertise in public and media relations, story pitching, community outreach, strategic planning and project management. The Deputy University Spokesperson works independently, makes decisions in alignment with the strategic communications goals of the organization, and helps to set the public relations strategy for the University.
- Represent the University on-the-record in digital, print, television, and radio interviews, in coordination with the University Spokesperson.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with journalists at local and national media outlets—digital, print, television, radio—to pitch institutional stories that strengthen awareness and offer insights into the University’s mission, values, strategic initiatives and programs, and policies.
- Develop and prepare written communications and content that represent the voice and position of the University of Virginia through official statements, news releases, op-editorials, letters to the editor, and other institutional communications.
- Respond to media inquiries in an accurate and timely manner to elevate the University as a highly referenced academic and research institution compared with national peers.
- Working with the University Spokesperson, prepare and train senior University officials to participate in interviews and discussions with national and regional media outlets. Offer strategic counsel and support to the University Spokesperson.
- Represent the University’s interests within the University community and with various internal and external constituencies.
- Advise the University Spokesperson on communications strategies for managing emerging issues associated with ongoing University-wide programs and significant initiatives associated with the University's new ten-year strategic plan.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Ability to exercise analytical and evaluating skills
- Ability to articulate and present public relations concepts, and to function in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of a team while maintaining impartiality and objectivity
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to make effective decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure
- High degree of professionalism and discretion
Required Education and Professional Experience
- Bachelor's or equivalent experience in English, communications, public relations, business, or related field
- At least five years of related professional experience
- Proven, professional track record with strong background in issues management, public affairs, journalism, or related area
Anticipated Hiring Range: $90,000 to $105,000, commensurate with experience
About University Communications:
It is our privilege to tell the remarkable and evolving story of the University of Virginia.
We are writers, strategists, communicators, artists and administrators, proudly celebrating, promoting and publicizing UVA’s iconic reputation, accomplishments and vision. Visit our website to find an overview of our latest work, an introduction to our team and further communications resources.
This position will remain open until filled. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Daniel Strong, Senior Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply:
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration, please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for 'R0030367'. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for ‘R0030367.’ Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
Base pay range
$90,000/yr - $105,000,000/yr
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The official LinkedIn account of the University of Virginia, by University Communications.