Vice President- Human Resources
We’re looking for a Vice President, Human Resources to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Shared Services Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
The Human Resources Vice President is part of our Shared Services team—composed of finance, operations, human resources, information technology, and facilities. We play a pivotal role in ensuring our colleagues have everything they need to support our clients, such as Planned Parenthood, NRDC, and many more.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Develop strategy, manage implementation, and oversee administration of personnel policies and procedures, including the M+R Employee Handbook and M+R’s collective bargaining agreement.
- Lead relations with our staff union, the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, including coordinating our joint Labor-Management Committee, managing personnel records and reporting required by the union, handling the grievance process, and playing a lead role in bargaining.
- Support strategy and oversee the administration of the firm’s compensation and benefits programs.
- Provide oversight to discipline process and manage involuntary departures.
- Advise management and support employees in appropriate resolution of employee relations.
- Identify legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensure policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance.
- Prepare and manage human resources annual operations plan and budget.
- Manage contracts with outside suppliers providing employee services.
- Develop strategy and oversee implementation of HRIS (Paycom) and other HR systems.
- Coordinate payroll logistics with Finance colleagues.
- Directly supervise two to three HR staff.
- Be a visible and vocal presence by actively contributing to our organizational culture and building inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly—including carefully tracking all of your hours as
well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 10+ years of human resources experience, including working in a unionized environment.
- A Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification, SHRM-CP, or equivalent.
- Working knowledge and strategic approach to the principles and practices of human resources operations.
- Demonstrated experience working with legal counsel and advising supervisors to ensure compliance and best practices when managing sensitive work situations.
- Working knowledge of payroll functions as it relates to benefits, such as healthcare, FSA, retirement plans, etc.
- Experience proposing and analyzing team budgets, negotiating benefit contracts, and limited scope audits.
- Experience managing discipline processes.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns, and directly supervising and coaching staff.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to craft meeting agendas to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience bargaining a labor contract.
- Experience working in an agency setting or consulting firm.
- Experience using Paycom, Workday Adaptive Planning, and/or Asana.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
This is an exempt position. The salary for this position is $113,000 with eligibility for an approximate $25,000 - $35,000 year-end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. If your years of relevant experience for this position are more than what is required above, we will offer a slightly higher base salary up to $124,000. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we're back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working from home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices will remain closed through Labor Day (September 6, 2021), and all staff will have the option to continue working from home through December 31, 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees, and we want to ensure our staff feel ready to return to the office. This position is not a permanent remote role and starting January 2022, will be located in any one of the following offices full-time:
- 1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
- 11 Park Place, New York, NY
- 262 Washington St, Boston, MA
- 1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
- 1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who help causes that inspire people to act.