Managing Director of Business Development
We Mean Business (WMB) is a global coalition of nonprofit organizations, working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. We are working to transform the world economy so that it is on track to limit global warming to 1.5°C, while delivering sustainable economic growth and shared prosperity. Through unprecedented collaboration, we catalyze business action and drive ambitious policy to halve emissions by 2030 and accelerate an inclusive transition to a net-zero economy by 2050, at the latest.
We are recruiting for a unique role, that will guide and oversee our organizational operations through leading the Operations Department and their functions, as well as catalyzing business development opportunities. This role will provide critical support for the We Mean Business Coalition as we enter a new phase of increased action—both operationally and strategically.
An important part of this role includes designing and implementing the Coalition Strategic Partnerships and exploring new opportunities for growth. This includes identifying our most promising opportunities for collaborative impact, fundraising and nurturing the strategic partnerships that make the Coalition successful. Additionally, the Managing Director of Operations will manage our Operations team: Finance, Governance, Operations; People; Re-Granting; Monitoring, Learning + Evaluation; and Strategic Partnerships + Fundraising.
Fundraising and Business Development
- Identify high-impact collaboration opportunities in the rapidly evolving corporate climate space, that can catalyse additional impact and funding, and design their implementation.
- Create and nurture the Coalition Strategic Partnerships Strategy, in service of the larger organizational strategy—either by direct implementation or by supporting strategy execution by other Management Team members
- Manage relationships with high level stakeholders across select partnerships—and support senior team members leading on other relationships
- Lead and manage the fundraising activities of the Coalition with other management team members.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams within the Secretariat and larger Coalition to develop systems and procedures to support partnerships.
- Analyze and track key metrics—in partnership with the Director of Measurement, Evaluation, and Learning-to evaluate the impact and value of key partnerships.
- Oversee and ensure smooth and effective organizational operations—and design process and systems interventions when needed to improve.
- Provide day to day line management and guidance to Operations Directors, specifically:
- Finance Team in ensuring budgets are balanced and forecasting information is available to internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- People Operations in creating compliant policies that promote high-performing teams and a healthy and inclusive culture; implement an annual performance evaluation system and linked professional development activities
- Re-Granting Operations in creating effective, automated, and efficient systems for portfolio management, ensuring that the right cross functional teams are engaged in the re-granting process.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning work to measure key results and the overall impact of our efforts.
- Provide updates and information to WMB Board of Directors on organizational operations at Board Meetings and as needed on an ad-hoc basis
- Development of Operations Team annual strategic planning and facilitate full team strategic planning sessions
Experience & Skills
- Know How: More than 15 years of work experience in a relevant field—can range from direct corporate engagement on climate action, consulting, public affairs, or organizational operations
- Collaboration + Stakeholder Management: Demonstrated experience in coalitions, and developing and managing high-profile partnerships
- Innovation + Agility: Ability to identify opportunities and bring in relevant team members to develop, maintain, and evolve them, based on organizational strategy
- Team Management: Ability to manage, inspire, and lead a high-performing team
- Effective Communications: Track record of clear and compelling communications, both internally and externally
- Our main language of operation is English. Proficiency in other language skills is a plus.
- Masters degree or equivalent work experience over the course of your career
- Business management education or experience
Please submit your cover letter and application for this role here. Applications will be accepted until Friday, June 25th.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment tasks, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Carina Molnar, Director of People + Culture at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits and compensation vary per region and are competitive with local prevailing packages. Regardless of location, team members get equipment stipends to ensure they are set up wherever they may be working from, generous time off, and paid parental leave.
All positions at We Mean Business Coalition are grant funded and are contingent upon continued funding.
We Mean Business Coalition is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Working with the world’s most influential businesses to take bold action on climate and call for ambitious policy.