Media Relations and External Engagement Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) is on a mission to create a world where no mother, child, or family is devastated by HIV and AIDS, and we are making an impact. We are a proven leader in the global fight to end HIV and AIDS, and an advocate for every child to live a full and healthy life into adulthood. For more than 30 years, EGPAF has been a leader in meeting urgent needs in pediatric HIV and AIDS in the world’s most affected regions. We carry out our values of passion, innovation, teamwork, leadership, integrity, excellence and equity every day, while maximizing our impact in the communities we serve. Join us on our fight for an AIDS-free generation!
Title: Manager, Media Relations & External Engagement
Department: External Affairs
Reports To: Vice President, External Affairs
Direct Reports: Sr. Coordinator, Media Relations
Location: Washington, DC
Classification: Full-time, exempt
How will you fight for an AIDS-free generation?
The Manager, Media Relations & External Engagement will play a key role in creating targeted earned and owned media opportunities to better position EGPAF as a global thought leader in global HIV & AIDS, with an emphasis on ending AIDS in children, youth, and families.
Reporting to the Vice President, External Affairs (VP, EA), the Manager, Media Relations and External Engagement (“Manager) will lead the development and implementation of a proactive external engagement strategy to advance EGPAF’s thought leadership profile through traditional earned media efforts and development of content for owned channels. The Manager will work to broaden awareness of EGPAF’s impact, expertise and solutions-based approach; elevate the voice of EGPAF and its senior leaders as subject matter experts; increase the visibility of its expertise and approaches across key stakeholder audiences; and effectively manage the Foundation Ambassadors program, to put a face on the AIDS in children, youth and families through those living with and affected by the virus.
No two days are alike at EGPAF, but what can you expect as a Manager, Media Relations & External Engagement?
· Collaborating with VP, EA and EA colleagues, support the development and implementation of a strategy to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with identified external audiences, including media, policymakers, and global health stakeholders. Work to ensure that media engagement is targeted, effective, and timely.
· Lead media outreach highlighting the Foundation’s global impact, expertise, and progress toward our mission to end AIDS in children, youth, and families. Work to generate strong press coverage using EGPAF messaging, resources, and content. Build long-term relationships with key press (emphasizing global health and development, medical and scientific, health, policy), as well as day-to-day responses to media inquiries and crisis response management.
· Position EGPAF senior staff, particular the President & CEO and Country Leadership as subject matter experts and issue spokespersons.
· Identify, brief, and prepare Foundation spokespeople for media interviews and other external speaking opportunities as required.
· Effectively position EGPAF in-person and virtual events including development opportunities, webinars, legislative and policy events, and domestic and international scientific conferences
· Work with Vice President, External Affairs to distribute and promote media placements and relevant digital content to key internal and external stakeholders.
· Develop, draft, and place content for earned and owned media to increase visibility with identified audiences. Key content will include opinion editorials, letters to the editor, and LinkedIn articles and other products as needed.
· With Senior Media Relations Coordinator, prepare talking points, remarks, presentations, and other supporting material for EGPAF staff and Ambassadors, as needed.
· Lead and manage Foundation Ambassador Program; enhance and further develop the program in the U.S. and globally, including the development of specific roles and objectives for Ambassadors to raise awareness of our work and mission.
· Oversee celebrity engagement to publicly promote EGPAF mission, as needed.
· Represent Foundation at relevant coalition meetings.
· Supervise work of outside consultants on media relations, celebrity engagement, and other work as required.
· Assist other departments and country offices with special projects and media initiatives as funding and time permits.
· Oversee the day-to-day activities of the function of the Senior Media Relations Coordinator
· Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual, and performance appraisals.
· Offer strategic support and guidance to Senior Media Relations Coordinator, Associate Director, Africa, Media & Communications as well as in-country Communications and Advocacy Officers.
To be successful, you will have…
· 8 years relevant experience; demonstrated success in a media/marketing function in a non-profit or corporate setting
· Bachelor’s degree
· Demonstrated writing skills; experience crafting strong external narratives including opinion pieces; ability to influence and engage a wide range of audiences with the focus on building long-term relationships
· Ability to construct, articulate, and implement a strategic marketing and communications plan
· Mentorship and coaching skills to build a motivated team
· Knowledge of media relations software such as Cision, Meltwater, Vocus, PR Newswire, etc. and Associated Press Style writing
· Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside EGPAF
· Extensive knowledge of media operations, including newsroom responsibilities and editorial decision-making
· Willingness to travel globally
Bonus points if you have…
· Knowledge of HIV/AIDS and/or global health issues
· Established media contacts.
As a global, multinational and multicultural organization, EGPAF believes that diversity in the workplace enriches our work and enhances our impact and effectiveness. We believe that employees have the right to work in a climate of mutual respect and integrity that promotes dignity and respect for all, and that enables them to reach their full potential. The Foundation is committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEI&B), and we strongly encourage those with the following identities to apply: BIPOC, women and non-binary, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and other members of marginalized communities.
EGPAF provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EGPAF complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Foundation has facilities.
The Foundation does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process. If you are asked to pay a fee at any stage of recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We’re fighting for an AIDS-free generation.