Allies for Immigrants Commonwealth Corps Program Coordinator (1-Year Service Internship)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The mission of the Commonwealth Corps service internship program is to engage Massachusetts residents of all ages, backgrounds, and identities in direct service to strengthen communities, address critical needs, and increase volunteerism. Through hands-on experience, Commonwealth Corps members gain professional skills and valuable knowledge while positively impacting diverse communities in our state.
The Massachusetts Service Alliance (MSA) is a private, nonprofit agency that oversees the program and supports host site partners and members to find success throughout the program year. The two Commonwealth Corps members with Allies for Immigrants will serve 10.5 months in a full-time capacity. They will join a diverse corps of members across Massachusetts who share a common desire to discover their passion and build their network in the service to their communities and the Commonwealth.
Boston Cares recruits, trains, and deploys individual and corporate volunteers who strengthen communities and improve the lives of people in need. Two Commonwealth Corps members will serve as part of Boston Cares’ Allies for Immigrants program in partnership with English for New Bostonians. The Boston Cares member will serve as a Commonwealth Corps Program Coordinator, supporting the growth and development of the Allies program by recruiting, training and supporting volunteer ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) tutors, and developing systems and tools to facilitate stronger engagement, including the continued development of the Allies Peer Leadership Program a peer leadership program to build sustainable capacity. The Boston Cares member will also collaborate closely with the Commonwealth Corps member at English for New Bostonians to recruit and train new volunteer tutors and provide support to an active tutor base of 110 tutors serving with 11+ programs in Dorchester, East Boston, Roslindale, Allston, Chinatown, South End, and Quincy.
What You’ll Do:
- Complete a minimum of 1,500 hours of service from August 16, 2021 through June 25, 2022.
- Attend all required Commonwealth Corps trainings and service events held by MSA (minimum of 6 total, post orientation) and Boston Cares, including a new member orientation on August 16 & 17, 2021.
- Participate in a minimum of 1 hour of MSA-approved professional development-related activities each week. Recruit, train, and support volunteer tutors serving in ESOL programs around Boston.
- Support new tutor recruitment efforts bringing in and training new program tutors 2 to 3 times annually. Support students as a tutor at one or more program sites.
- Communicate with volunteers via phone, email, and in-person to address questions and support engagement. Engage in community meetings to meet community leaders and ESOL program students, understand community priorities and develop relationships with Allies for Immigrants ESOL Tutor Corps program sites, including monthly site visits and neighborhood roundtables with Allies tutors.
- Support data entry and management in HandsOn Connect, a Salesforce based system for volunteer management; ensure volunteer opportunities are posted to the system and volunteer tracking is completed in a timely manner. Continue development of the Allies Peer Leadership Program that engages volunteers in regular communication and support between students, programs, and Allies for Immigrants staff:
- Define the role and responsibilities of a peer leader in a virtual capacity and in-person service capacity
- Assess program needs for Peer Leaders at each site as needed throughout the service term
- Deepen the current recruitment plan and training program for leaders
- Create and facilitate regular meetings of Peer Leaders across program sites to build the network of leaders and deepen connections.
- Serve as a full member of the Boston Cares team – attend staff and department meetings
- Represent Boston Cares and Allies for Immigrants in the community
- Lead New Volunteer Orientations for general Boston Cares members, promoting Allies as an opportunity.
You must be:
- A Massachusetts resident (see guidelines here) with legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- 18 years of age or older, however we have had members ranging from 18 – 70+ years old
- Excited to give back to your community and help others
- Interested in developing your skills and gaining new professional experience and knowledge
- Able to balance service internship commitments with personal commitments in a sustainable way
- Familiar with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Interested and able to serve as part of a small team in a fast-paced environment
- Interested and able to take initiative and work independently on projects
- Passionate for community-based development
- Able to communicate clearly with diverse groups
- Able to serve in a shared office environment
- Have experience working or volunteering in diverse community settings and comfortable learning new neighborhoods and traveling/visiting programs across the Boston area.
- Have experience speaking in front of a group, serving as a mentor, teacher, or tutor
- Interested in a career in the nonprofit sector.
What You’ll Get:
- Stipend of $900 semi-monthly while in service, up to $18,900, minus taxes and withholdings;
- Health insurance (individual coverage only);
- Member Assistance Program, including unlimited, confidential, 24/7, phone counseling services and up to three free, in-person counseling sessions, plus a lot more;
- Completion award of up to $3000 upon successful completion of service, minus taxes and withholdings;
- Subsidized CharlieCard Monthly Pass when regular in-office attendance is required; Valid on all MBTA ferry routes, Subway, Silver Line, Bus, and Commuter Rail Zone 1A;
- Option to opt-in to annual Bluebike membership when regular in-office attendance is required
- Reimbursement for outside training or professional development opportunities relevant to member’s service and/or goals (Up to $100; Dependent on approval from MSA);
- Additional training and other professional development opportunities;
- Limited reimbursement for travel to Corps-wide MSA-sponsored activities;
- Limited travel reimbursement from their host site for certain service-related travel away from their usual service location, according to that agency's policies;
- The opportunity for at least 10 days of planned absences (may include holidays); and
- Opportunity to join with others with a common sense of purpose as part of the Commonwealth Corps.
Please note that receipt of these stipends/benefits may impact an individual’s eligibility for certain public benefits.
Term of Service:
- Position Start Date: August 16, 2021
- Position End Date: June 25, 2022
- Service commitment will average 38-40 hours per week with hours primarily Monday-Friday with a typical day being 9am-5pm (8 hours).
- The schedule will be arranged with the supervisor with some opportunity for flexibility.
- Potential for occasional evening and weekend commitments at minimum of two weeks advance notice will be provided.
- To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Laura Keith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Early applications are encouraged as applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with preference given to candidates who apply by May 29, 2021.
- This position is cross-posted with the Commonwealth Corps Service Internship at English for New Bostonians. Applicants are invited to apply for either or both positions.
- Accepted members will be required to undergo a criminal history check.
Boston Cares will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. Boston Cares welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews and for service upon request.
Your application has been successfully submitted.