KIPP KC Chief Operations Officer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About KIPP Kansas City
KIPP KC was founded in 2007 with our middle school serving grades 5-8. In 2017 we opened our elementary school. Today we serve just 650 students in grades PreK-8. We intend to open our High School in Fall 2021. We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives.
KIPP is a national network of tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. Together with families and communities, KIPP creates joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world. There are 255 college-preparatory KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia, serving more than 100,000 students. Nationally, KIPP students are graduating four-year colleges at three times the national average for students from low-income communities.
KIPP KC’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) is an experienced manager and leader accountable for high performing operations and finance services and for the capacity building needed for KIPP KC’s impact, growth, and sustainability. A member of the Regional Leadership Team reporting to the Executive Director, the COO manages a team of regional and school staff (and external providers), while partnering with regional leaders, school leaders, and the Board. A systems-builder with a high bar for excellence, the COO manages functions including finance, accounting, human resources, technology, facilities, school services (transportation, nutrition, purchasing), compliance, and legal/risk management. The role is an ideal opportunity for a collaborative, entrepreneurial, and service-minded leader with a passion for educational equity and social justice in Kansas City.
PEOPLE & ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP
- Hire, manage, and develop regional operations and finance staff, expected to include Finance, HR, IT, Facilities, Nutrition, Transportation
- In coordination with School Principals, hire, manage, and develop school-specific operations staff to include two School Operations Directors in 2020-2021 and three in 2021-2022.
- Manage quality of operations performance and customer service, analyzing results and customer satisfaction data to set and achieve continuous improvement goals.
- Identify and lead improvements to systems, staffing, policies, work flow, and other capacities required for best practice finance and operations at current and future scale.
- Oversee internal school operations reviews to recognize areas of strength and improvement, share best practices, and ensure alignment with academic priorities.
- Provides exceptional coaching and development to grow talent and establish leadership pipelines.
- Contribute to KIPP’s overall annual and multi-year strategic planning.
- Participate in leadership team planning, prioritizing, and decision-making.
- Support board committees related to operations and finance.
- Participate in and contribute to learning and sharing with KIPP national network.
Finance & Accounting Operations, Controls, & Compliance
- Oversee finance and operations staff (and providers) to perform accounts payable, accounts receivable, banking, and other daily accounting functions and general ledger transactions.
- Oversee timely, accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual close and reconciliations.
- Document, communicate, and manage staff on fiscal policies and procedures.
- Manage preparation for and participation in financial and compliance audits.
- Oversee tax reporting.
Financial Reporting & Budget Management
- Ensure staff and board have accurate, timely, and meaningful financial information to make resource decisions in the best interest of KIPP and its students and families. (including regional and school budget-to-actuals-to-projections for income statement, cash flow, and balance sheet.)
- Organize and conduct quarterly and monthly budget management meetings with regional and school leaders to manage and meet the current year budgets for their functions and schools.
- Ensure timely, compliant, mission-aligned applications, budgets, and reporting for grants/contracts.
- Coordinate with development team on revenue recognition, allocation, and reporting.
Sustainability, Planning, & Budgeting
- Design and manage annual budgeting portion of annual plan and budget process.
- Lead multi-year financial and sustainability strategy, forecasting, and modeling.
- Track, report, and ensure KIPP achieves annual and multi-year budget and sustainability metrics.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of rigorous multi-year financial model and projections tools.
School Services (Transportation, Nutrition, Purchasing)
- Ensure school-based staffing, systems, and vendors are in place for transportation and food programs with timely, reliable, safe, on-budget, and fully compliant delivery of services.
- Manage staff and systems for purchasing, procurement, and inventory management, including vendor management and administrative supplies, instructional materials, furniture, and equipment.
Facilities & Real Estate
- Manage and oversee staff and/or contractors providing facilities management and maintenance to ensure buildings are clean, well-maintained, safe, secure, and meeting school needs.
- Manage region’s real estate portfolio, ensuring facility solutions and plans are in place to achieve growth while integrating mission, finance, development, and facility perspectives.
- Oversee HR staff, policies, and practices to recruit, develop, manage, support, and retain a diverse, high-performing staff Team & Family that fulfills KIPP’s values and beliefs.
- Manage compensation, benefits, and payroll; employee relations, staff policies, and compliance.
- Manage or contribute to other talent functions which may include recruitment/selection, professional development, retention, career and succession planning, performance management.
Technology & Data Management
- Oversee staff and strategies for planning, implementation, and support of technology required for KIPP to achieve its educational and sustainability goals.
- Includes integration and maintenance of technology architecture and systems administration including network, servers, workstations, connectivity, security, software, and hardware.
- Ensure efficient, proactive, and responsive user support and customer service for staff and students. Contribute with instructional leaders to educational technology and data management strategies.
- Provide support for data management functions at regional/school levels.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Ensure compliance systems, staffing, and tools in place for annual and charter cycles such that KIPP fully complies with federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements, avoiding impact on students, staff,, financials, ability to operate and grow, and reputation.
- Lead region-wide management of legal affairs, insurance, and other risk strategies to ensure protection of KIPP students, staff, and resources.
Skills & Experience
Candidate Qualifications and Requirements:
- More than five years of progressive experience managing operations and finance functions, ideally in a growing K-12 school organization.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience required; MBA, MPA, or related degree preferred.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in finance/accounting, managing 7+ figure budgets, and modeling.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in several operations functions included in role.
- Ability to build and implement systems to support a growing and complex organization.
- Experience negotiating and managing contracts, service providers and vendors.
- Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Traits & Qualities
- Unquestioned commitment to KIPP’s mission, community, and belief that all students can succeed.
- An unwavering commitment to anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Exemplar of KIPP’s values, demonstrating integrity in words and actions.
- Strong relationship-builder across diverse constituents (board, staff, students, families, partners).
- Flexibility to juggle and prioritize competing tasks and goals.
- Organized, resourceful, and accountable, with strong attention to follow through and detail.
- Systems thinker and builder.
- Proactive and creative problem-solver; ability to clearly define strategic issues, make tough decisions, and develop clear solutions in the face of ambiguity.
- Grit, optimism, persistence, gratitude, trustworthiness, and a sense of humor.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, KIPP Kansas City offers a comprehensive benefits package including health coverage and retirement.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Creating joyful, academically excellent schools