Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Summary of Purpose:
Strategic partner to the Vice-Chancellor of HR/DEI and College leadership, providing strategic leadership and operational support on all DEI plans, initiatives, and strategies. Promotes and fosters diversity and cultural competence, belonging and inclusivity, and equitable achievement for students, faculty, and staff. This position is expected to work in a multi-cultural, diverse working environment.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and responsibilities requested of the employee assigned this title. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required:
- Develops and implements a DEI strategic plan to include a multi-year roadmap, goals, and metrics to measure college-wide DEI efforts.
- Facilitates use of organizational change tools to assist College in developing diversity, equity, and inclusion plans and systems; improve key processes and policies; remove bias-based interferences; and develop collaborative team environments.
- Directs college-wide DEI Strategic Planning and DEI Committees to include planning processes, enforcement of deadlines, and producing measurable outcomes.
- Serves as “point person" for students, faculty, and staff on all DEI issues; works to connect OCC stakeholders with existing institutional resources to assist DEI efforts.
- Tracks national trends, including climate studies, demographic data, and policy analyses to establish benchmarks for success that will be published college-wide.
- Assists Enrollment Services in efforts to recruit, welcome, and retain students of diverse backgrounds.
- Develops cultural programming events on campus that intentionally connect students, faculty, and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds in an effort to celebrate diversity, encourage dialogue, increase understanding, and provide reconciliation.
- Implements tracking strategies to assess and monitor program effectiveness; provides recommendations for program enhancements.
- Collaborates with core cross-functional teams to ensure that inclusion and diversity are embedded into the candidate and employee experience.
- Coordinates and conducts DEI professional development, educational opportunities, and annual training; regularly communicates and promotes internal and external DEI initiatives, events, and advancement.
- Ability to work additional hours, as needed.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Demonstrated ability leading diversity, equity, and inclusion within Higher Education or a complex organization preferred
- Dynamic leader, skilled in leading groups through organizational change and influencing diverse teams to achieve strategic goals
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated while handling multiple assignments
- Experience with project management tools and processes preferred
- Knowledge of best practices in recruitment and retention of diverse students and employees and equal employment opportunity policies preferred
- Experience promoting and fostering an environment that is supportive of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Strong analytical, problem solving, logic and research, and documentation skills
- Experience in effective facilitation, peer coaching, mentoring, and modelling of effective DEI behaviours
Minimum Education and Experience Requirement:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
Degrees in Organizational Development, Educational Leadership, Race or Ethnic Studies, Sociology, Social Sciences, Higher Education Administration, Student Affairs, or a related area preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Five years experience and leadership administering, planning, designing, and delivering programs, plans, and initiatives related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Michigan’s #1 Transfer Institution | 100 Degree & Certificate Programs | #occollege