Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Director of DEI is a senior-level manager within the Division of Human Resources of the County Administrative Office. The Director of DEI is responsible for defining, planning, organizing, and managing the operations and activities of the county’s diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy and program. The Director of DEI reports directly to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
The Director of DEI will be working across our organization to build workforce culture and strategy that take into account diversity. They will be assisting with the development of policies that lead to a more inclusive workplace for all County employees. The Director works as staff to our Kern County Human Relations Commission and will assist in making it an effective venue for discussion of DEI matters throughout our community.
The Director of DEIU must also meet the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a focus in human resources, sociology, public administration or another closely related field.
• Five years of progressively responsible professional experience providing guidance and program development related to equal employment opportunity, civil rights or social justice programs focusing on DEI.
• Two years of supervisory and/or management experience.
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s License upon appointment.
The Ideal Candidate
Kern County’s next Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will be a forward-thinking leader who connects our County’s diversity goals with our business strategies. They will be a strong communicator and be able to develop strong partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders. The successful candidate will also be a bold actor showing courage in exploring new ways to add diverse voices to our organization. They must be a positive, steadfast, and perseverant individual who can take constructive suggestions and mold them into a cohesive and collaborative strategy. Kern County is looking for someone with the experience and knowledge in diversity, equity, and inclusion matters to successfully implement the County’s DEI initiative across our entire workforce.
Compensation and Benefits:
The following compensation package is applicable to all candidates for the position:
• Base annual salary range - $84,792.00 - $103,512.00
• Kern Flex (10% of base) - $8,479.20 - $10,351.20
The following additional compensation package is applicable to candidates employed by Kern County on or after October 27, 2007:
• Premium Pay (6% of base) - $5,087.52 - $6,210.72
• Deferred Compensation Match (up to 6% of base) - $5,087.52 - $6,210.72
The benefits associated with this position include:
• Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription coverage with a 20% employee premium
• $100,000 life insurance benefit
• Voluntary benefits, including disability coverage, life insurance, and flexible spending accounts
• Defined benefit retirement plan
• Deferred compensation 457 plan
• 12 paid County holidays
• Paid sick leave and vacation hours depending on years of service
The recruitment for this position is based upon an appraisal of the qualified applicants (100% weighted). The appraisal includes an initial screening of each qualified applicant's education and experience. Candidates who have passed the initial screening will be invited to an oral examination with an impartial interview panel. The interview panel will score and rank those candidates for placement on an eligible list. The top seven candidates will be certified to the Human Resources Division for further interview and selection. All candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% on the oral examination to be eligible for appointment.
Anticipated Recruitment Dates (subject to change):
Application period closes - April 2, 2021
Initial applicant screening - Week of April 5, 2021
Oral examination - Week of April 19, 2021
Interview of certified candidates - Week of April 26, 2021
Finalist interviews - Week of May 3, 2021
Each recruitment phase may be eliminated based upon the number of qualified candidates.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Kern County has over 8,000 employees providing a host of government services to its residents, business, and visitors. The County is led by a five-mem...