Azavea is a mission-driven technology firm based in Philadelphia that uses geospatial data to build software and data analytics for the web. As a B Corporation, our mission is to use advanced geospatial technology for civic, social, and environmental impact. Most of our work serves local and federal government agencies, non-profit organizations, and impact-related projects for commercial companies. We build custom web applications, perform geospatial analysis, and contribute to open-source projects. We have particular expertise in climate change, water, conservation, elections, and infrastructure, and we are engaged in a wide range of other interesting projects. Check out our career website for more about Azavea.
Azavea is looking for a Project Manager who is passionate about delivering projects with a positive impact. You will work closely with an Engineering Lead to manage and support a team of software engineers to execute high-quality projects on time and on budget. We are seeking a strong communicator with a talent for working through competing priorities to identify the best solution for everyone. If you are detail-oriented and have an interest in geospatial data analysis, visualization, and software, we encourage you to apply.
Azavea has several software teams, which differ in terms of the specific projects they develop and whether they are primarily product teams or professional services teams. This team will primarily be a professional services team that implements a range of custom web mapping applications for analysis and visualization for municipal government, non-profit, and international organizations. Though they may cover a variety of topic areas, we expect this team’s projects will skew toward the climate change, water, and conservation spaces and may range from short-term work of a few months to longer multi-year initiatives. To see examples of projects we already work on in this space, check out our watershed modeling and stormwater runoff tools, and our support of FieldScope: a citizen science platform for environmental monitoring projects.
What you will do:
- Work with the team to execute high quality projects on time and under budget
- Prepare budgets, scopes, and proposals for projects
- Create and revise project plans to meet changing needs and requirements
- Write and edit reports for grants and other projects
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of a project and scope: work with software engineers, designers, users, and clients to set expectations and remove impediments
- Complete budget and task-based time tracking and reporting for clients based on individual project needs
- Communicate relevant project information with management and executive teams
- Work with the business development team to cultivate customer and partner relationships to win new business
- Identify areas for improvement in internal processes and develop solutions that improve outcomes for your team and clients
- Collaborate with the Engineering Lead on people management tasks such as hiring, onboarding, performance feedback, defining and supporting individual/team goals
- Support diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) objectives and initiatives through people decisions, management practice, and other activities
- Possess strong writing skills, preferably with some experience in proposal or technical writing
- Clearly communicate technical topics to colleagues and audiences of broad levels of technical expertise
- Have experience managing complex endeavors with multiple dependencies and occasional conflicting priorities
- Demonstrate meticulous attention to detail
- Be able to switch between multiple projects within the same day and balance short-term work on a project with long-term strategic planning
- Be willing to develop (or already have) a general understanding in the areas of application development, database and system design, and data analysis
- Enjoy working with a small, collaborative team on meaningful projects
- Approach new challenges with curiosity, resourcefulness, and resilience
- Have an interest in climate change, conservation, and sustainability
You get extra points for:
- Knowledge of basic web technology concepts
- Familiarity with or an interest in mapping technology or geospatial data
- Experience with agile software development processes
- Experience collaborating with engineers, designers, and other colleagues to complete great projects
- Business development experience, especially in cultivating existing relationships or developing referral-based leads
- Prior work or experience (either on a professional or volunteer level) with efforts related to climate change
You’ll notice that we don’t cite N years of experience, a PMP certification, or a specific degree as requirements. Formal credentials like these are valuable, but we are primarily looking for people who have gained real-world experience with project management. If you think this description fits you, even if your experience doesn't match up perfectly with the technologies we've listed, we encourage you to apply. We do not use automated resume screening technology, and our employees review all applications that we receive.
A note on hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
Due to regulations in Philadelphia and our concern for the health and safety of our team, we expect to conduct most of the candidate interviews remotely. The majority of our colleagues generally work out of our Philadelphia office, but while our office has re-opened, most of us aren’t in the office full-time. Depending on the circumstances at the time of hiring, we are able to support remote on-boarding, including shipping relevant materials and a laptop to your home. We are fortunate to have invested in meaningful work-from-home tools and processes over the years, and have been able to continue providing a secure, flexible, and safe work environment for all of our colleagues. We ask for your patience as we adapt our hiring process as well, and are happy to answer any questions or concerns about the process.
Office and Benefits
Our Philadelphia headquarters is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market, and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, showers, and lockers. The office itself is assembled as an open office plan with several smaller rooms for team meetings and concentration time. You get your own desk with a high-end Linux workstation or Apple laptop and extra monitors. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 - 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, our staff can also spend up to 10% of their time on an open source, professional development, or R&D project. Recent 10% time projects include a product development learning group, developing scripts to automate processes, testing workload estimation tools, and developing improvements to our internal tools.
We offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience. We are seeking a mid-level to senior-level project manager, but will consider people with relevant backgrounds with comparable experience. Azavea’s salaries for mid-level or senior PM range from $84,000 - 110,000 range. We differentiate between these levels based on four criteria: technical skill, execution, collaboration, and leadership/impact. Our benefits package includes:
• Fully subsidized health care, dental care, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
• Fully subsidized life and long-term disability insurance, plus voluntary short-term disability insurance
• Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not401k retirement plan with company match
• Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus additional paid sick/personal time off
• Flexible work schedule
• Family and medical leave
• Paid maternity and paternity leave
• Child care subsidy
• Paid time off for voting and volunteering
• Education and training assistance plan
• Student loan assistance
• Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
• Monthly guest lectures with lunches on the company10% time for research or learning projects
• Profit-sharing bonus plan
• Financial transparency through an open book policy
• Kind, capable and thoughtful colleagues
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.