Camp Operations Director
Camp Operations Director
MAINE & REMOTE / FULL-TIME / YEAR ROUND
CampHire is recruiting an Operations Director to join a mission-based summer camp in Maine. This role will report to the Camp Director and lead a team of seasonal and full-time staff. The position is based in Maine from May to September, and is remote the remainder of the year. Compensation starts at $70,000 plus benefits.
This person will have a meaningful impact on building culture and community, and will be an influential voice in designing the future of camp. If you are a camp professional with a proven track record in operations, this is the job for you.
What you’ll do
Year Round Activity
- Develop long-range plans to improve facilities. Manage uplift projects, construction of new buildings, and maintenance upgrades from end-to-end.
- Manage relationships with third-party vendors. Oversee RFP process, contract execution, and storage of records (SOW’s, COI’s, W-9’s).
- Lead two full-time team members (Maintenance and Operations Coordinator).
- Recruit seasonal staff to support daily operations at camp, including maintenance, facilities, office administrators, and food-service providers.
- Partner with CFO to manage Camp budget, conduct cost analysis, and devise plans to secure the long-term financial health of the organization.
- Coordinate overseas travel and payroll processes for all Camp staff.
- Support Country Directors with camper recruitment, enrollment, and coordination of applications, including visa paperwork.
- Maintain ACA accreditation standards and liaise with Maine Department of Health and Human Services to stay informed on evolving regulations.
- Coordinate alternative use of the property for the off-season.
- Partner closely with central administration team to manage payroll, invoices, Camp vehicles, and credit cards.
- Lead a team of 8 seasonal staff members including, housekeepers, maintenance workers, and kitchen crew.
- Oversee general appearance and upkeep of camp facilities. Ensure safety and cleanliness of grounds at all times. Partner with Maintenance Director to make repairs.
- Conduct routine inventory and procurement of supplies.
- Work with Health Center staff to manage camper records, process insurance paperwork, and log incident reports.
- Oversee all Camp program related travel for participants and Camp staff.
- Coordinate annual volunteer efforts with local community in Maine.
- Responsible for opening and closing of camp, equipment upkeep, records management, and end-of-season reporting.
Who you will lead
Grounds & Maintenance Director (FT), Camp Coordinator, Kitchen Director, Housekeeping, Health Center, Camp Office Assistants and Interns, Security, Bus Driver.
Who you are
You take ownership. You are accountable for personal and team results. You take initiative without being asked. You get your hands dirty when needed. You lead by example.
You're a proven leader. You can identify potential and develop talent. You are a cheerleader and coach. You know how to bring the best out of people. You care.
You can handle complex stuff. Logistics is in your DNA. You know how to add structure and build processes. Multitasking doesn’t phase you.
You believe in the power of camp. You understand the inner-workings of camp. You know firsthand the impact of camp on campers. You exude passion in your work.
- You have worked at camp or in a similar environment with youth.
- Experience with operations management
- Experience leading a team
- Experience in multicultural environments
- Experience using and learning tech platforms
Nice to have
- Experience with mission-based work, community building, or interfaith peace initiatives.
- Based on the East Coast within driving distance of camp.
- Role Type: Full Time, 40 hours per week
- Location: Remote (8 months), Maine (4 months),
- Annual Compensation: Salaried $70,000 - $80,000
- Benefits: Healthcare, Paid Time Off
- Travel: 10% domestic with occasional international
Your application has been successfully submitted.